Sunday, July 29, 2012

Let Freedom Ring

We love to celebrate the 4th of July around these parts.  I have always loved the holiday and the fun that comes along with it, but I think it was my 5th grade teacher, Mr. O, that truly instilled in me a love for this amazing country that we live in.  He taught me that because so many others have made the ultimate sacrifice I can live a life that I truly love in a country that is truly free.  Because I am an amer.I.CAN.  We celebrated in traditional style.  We enjoyed the Primary parade on the evening of the 3rd, by riding decorated bikes down a simmering main street in order to receive an icy popsicle from the local royalty.  We spent that night sleeping on the grass in our backyard so that we wouldn't miss the 6 a.m. cannon salute.  I heard it, everyone else slept through it...

The next morning was parade time.  All decked out in RW&B to show our patriotism.
Can't you tell they are excited...  Emma didn't want her picture taken as usual
We had fun sitting by cousins at the parade
and enjoying most of the parade entries, the fire engine was a bit to loud for Allie's liking
Our favorite part of the parade, Madison dancing with her summer dance class, I think this is the 5th year she has done this, how is she that old already?
Emma's boots, this was the 4th year she has worn them, I am pretty sure they were a bit sung and weren't very comfortable, but she insisted, and who am I to object so such patriotic apparel.
The park after the parade is always full of fun and people.
See what I mean about the picture thing...
The train is a tradition, and this year we sent the kids on their own.  It was fun to see them enjoy it so much.  Allie screamed when it was time to get off.

C.J. decided to do the fish grab this year.  That's right fish grab.  There are pools set up and a bunch of slimy, stinky, trout put into the water and when they say go you jump in and catch one with you bare hands.  C.J. was excited and ready, but I think the competitiveness of it all was to much for my boy, he stood back and let everyone else have a turn.

We also enjoyed plenty of snow cones in an attempt to stay cool in the heat. 
Later that afternoon we went to G&G Thalman's house for a pool party, BBQ, and fireworks.  Allie loved the sand an water table.
The kids loved the pool
and Tom became the official "throw me in the pool" guy.  These girls couldn't get enough.



This boy, on the other hand, loved running to dive in on his own. 
I enjoyed sitting on the side lines soaking it all in.  The beautiful day, the people I love, the reason we celebrate this great day of freedom.



Happy 4th of July 2012

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have a beautiful family